Dr. Austin uses local St Paul MN dental labs to craft his custom fit dental crowns. For front crowns he will send you directly to the lab to have a custom shade match. This will ensure that it will match your natural teeth perfectly.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are permanently cemented on to a tooth and restore a tooth back to its original function and appearance.
Will my tooth need a crown?
Crowns are used to cover, protect and strengthen broken teeth that have been weakened by decay, have large fillings, cracks, root canals, have been injured, or to improve the appearance of the original teeth.
Dental Crown Materials:
- Porcelain or ceramic
- Work well if you have a metal allergy.
- Match your natural tooth shade.
- Have a natural tooth like appearance.
- Less irritating to gums then any of the other materials.
- Minimal wear to opposing teeth.
- Primarily used on back molars because these crowns are gold in color.
- Known to inhibit future decay because of the antimicrobial properties of gold.
- Porcelain fused to metal
- Can have a natural tooth like appearance but metal may start appearing around the edges once your gums shrink back. This will leave a dark edge around the crown that may look like decay.
- May chip due to differences in thermal expansion; porcelain and metal expand and contract at different rates when there is a change in temperature. For example, when you drink a cold soda and have hot soup.
- May chip due to an incorrect chemical or mechanical bond of the porcelain to the metal.
- Can irritate your gums if you have a metal allergy.
As with any dental treatment caring for your dental restorations and teeth is extremely important to prevent decay from appearing. You can prevent this by flossing, brushing, and regular dental checkups.
Austin Family Dental: Dr. Louis Thomas Austin
1360 Energy Park Dr Suite 140,
St Paul, MN 55108
Monday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wednesday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thursday 7:00 am - 5:00 pm